“Big Data Science at SDSU” Lightning Talks and Forums
(To view pdf files you may need to download Adobe Reader.)
March 7, 2015 (Saturday) 11:00am – 01:30pm:
An extension of the SDSU Student Research Symposium Presentations
Date (Lightning talks and forum): Saturday, March 7, 2015
Time: 11:00AM – 1:30PM
Location: Templo Room, Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union, SDSUCall for “Big Data Science at SDSU”
11:00 am (Opening Introduction) (Dr. Ming-Hsiang Tsou, Director of HDMA Center)
11:10am – 12:00pm (Five lightning Talks).
1. Dr. Ralph-Axel Müller (Psychology and Center for Clinical and Cognitive Neuroscience): MR imaging in autism: Mining for biomarkers
2. Dr. Bowen Shen (Math and Statistics, Center for Climate and Sustainability Studies): Advanced Supercomputing Technology for Big Data Science.
3. Dr. Mel Hovell (Public Health, Director of CBEACH): Real Time Measures & Interventions: Setting the stage for behavioral science and engineering human behavior?
4. Dr. Atsushi Nara (Geography, HDMA): Behavior mining from large moving object data.
5. Dr. Rob Malouf (Linguistics): Mining cultural insights from online texts.
12:00am – 12:20pm (Panel Discussion with Participants): Panelists: Tsou, Müller, Shen, Hovell, and Malouf.
1. Dr. Sam Shen (Math and Statistics, Co-Director of Center for Climate and Sustainability Studies): Big climate data at SDSU and the world.
2. Dr. André Skupin (Geography, CICS): Knowledge Visualization: From Cartographic Inspiration to Societal Impact.
3. Vincent Berardi (CBEACH): Big Data in Practice: A Health-Based Intervention.
4. Akshay Pottathil (Geography, CICS) Avoiding Systematic Breakdowns: A Network Analytics Approach to Continuity of Operations.
1:00pm – 1:20pm (Panel Discussion with Participants): Panelists: Shen, Skupin, Berardi, and Pottathil.
1:20pm Closing Remark (Dr. Sam Shen).Abstracts of Talks and Panel Discussions
Download the Flyer: BigDataAtSDSU_Flyer.pdf